Coaching Success: Getting People to Take Responsibility & Demonstrate Ownership
Field-tests about how personal responsibility works in the mind (i.e., how we avoid it and how we take it) now make it possible for coaches to understand and teach the mental processes, language, and keys to personal responsibility. Cool huh?
Doing so inspires your charges to demonstrate far greater ownership behavior as individuals, teams, and even as entire enterprises. You add more value as your charges take ownership and learn, correct, and improve more easily, directly, and quickly.
Come acquire the basic tools and practices for coaching success with personal responsibility.
This will be an interactive and experiential design, including some learning exercises, dialog, Q&A, and teaching points.
From 0-90 minutes: We will MODEL FOR COACHES how we introduce (1) the Responsibility Process, (2) Keys to Responsibility, and (3) apply both 1 & 2 to an agile team in order to provoke ownership behavior and conversations about responsibility. This will involve:
0-10mins: Intro and Setup
10-25mins: the Challenge Game (where coach/participants naturally demonstrate the stages of irresponsibility)
25-30mins: the Challenge Game Evaluation and Winner Selection
30-45mins: the Challenge Game debrief (where coach/participants see how they exhibited ownership and/or a lack thereof)
45-60mins: Q&A revelation and review of the Responsibility Process
60-85mins: 3 Keys to Responsibility Application Exercise (where coach/participants apply and practice the keys of Intention, Awareness, and Confront in small groups)
From 90-180 minutes we will OFFER CRITICAL COACHING DISTINCTIONS for understanding and teaching or coaching this emotion-laden topic and model.
95-100mins: Reset after break
100-125mins: the Nature VS Nurture VS Choice exercise (where coaches experience how irresponsible behavior is rewarded in society)
125-155mins: The Don’t Go Into Agreement Exercise and the Getting Gotten Exercise (in which Coaches learn the “Gotcha” patterns learners use to dismiss and over-power the teacher of responsibility)
155-165mins: Rapid-fire Tips and Distinctions from Christopher and Ashley
175-180mins: Admonition (in which coaches are challenged to demonstrate and teach Responsibility widely) and feedback
- You will leave with tools, activities and exercise you can use on an ongoing basis to continually improve your ability to take and teach ownership behavior
- Understand and explain the connection between ownership behavior and success in any pursuit
- Understand and explain the essential role of ownership behavior (i.e., personal responsibility) in agile
- Understand and explain why and how people avoid ownership, and why and how people take it
- Understand why an agile coach would want to demonstrate, inspire, and teach ownership behavior
- Understand, try on, and validate your mind’s internal Responsibility Process
- Understand and practice the 3 Keys to Responsibility for unlocking and mastering the Responsibility Process
- Evaluate your return on investment as a coach to adopt a personal Responsibility Practice for mastering responsibility
- Evaluate and choose the basic tools to support your success practicing and teaching ownership behavior
- Learn the A, B, C’s of teaching responsibility to anyone — what is required, and where the pitfalls are.
- and maybe…Understand why giving advice seldom works (because it shifts the locus of ownership from advice-receiver to advice-giver)
- See background material at www.ChristopherAvery.com/concept.htm