Pragmatically "Crossing the Chasm" from Project-level to Enterprise Adoption
This stimulating talk starts by exploring the popular Technology Adoption Lifecycle, and how it relates to agile adoption. Next Ahmed illustrates how to practically “cross the chasm” between project-level and enterprise-wide agile adoption initiatives using a value-based roadmap. The roadmap, which consists of five steps (Collaborative, Evolutionary, Integrated, Adaptive, & Encompassing), is a result of 4 years of research and industry experience. Participants will see how to create their own value-based agile roadmaps as well as discuss key concepts related to enterprise agile adoption.
Overview of the Talk.
After finishing the pilot project what is the next step? Should we do for more “pilot projects”, or do we just mandate Agile on all the teams working in the organization? Many questions come up once an organization decides to adopt agile on an enterprise level. This session will share some though provoking material about how to approach an enterprise-wide adoption.
Given the increasing size of the agile community, it is increasingly important that we not lose the “essence” of what constitutes of agile development. While organizations necessarily focus initially on agile practices, the most successful long-term change occurs as people internalize the different values of agility—the true differentiator. This is why our approach to enterprise adoption is based on agile values.
In a nutshell, this session will present an intriguing, unique, and practical approach to agile adoption efforts. The essence of the approach is using value-based phases to introduce agile to the enterprise. These value-based phases are inspired from the Sidky Agile Measurement Index (SAMI).
Since not everyone reading this proposal is familiar with SAMI, I included some quotes from people in the agile industry about SAMI.
“‘Going agile’ is not a single, onetime event but rather a process of changing the way a team and organization thinks and works. I have found X2A’s five level, value-based, Sidky Agile Measurement Index (SAMI) to be a useful tool for both assessing a team’s current state and charting a course for a successful adoption process. The value based approach helps an organization to stay focused on the overall goals of the adoption effort, rather than becoming overly concerned about the feasibility of specific agile practices in their environment.”
Jeff Nielsen, Chief Agile Officer - Command Information
“The Sidky Agile Measurement Index (SAMI) just might become the key enterprise standard in the Agile world. As a framework, it fills the gap between Agile development and the need for an enterprise strategy roadmap, objectively assessing organizational capability and maturity from an Agile perspective.”
Michael K. Spayd, Enterprise Change Strategist, Collective Edge Consulting
Outline of the talk:
- The Pilot project Phase
- The Technology Adoption Curve
- Mapping the Technology adoption curve to Agile adoption ventures
- Is there a chasm for Agile adoption?
- What is the nature of the Agile chasm separating project-level adoption from enterprise adoptions.
- How to “cross the chasm” – The Agile Way
- The Sidky Agile Measurement Index (SAMI); A value-based roadmap to cross the chasm
- Introduction to the SAMI
- How to design your OWN enterprise Agile adoption roadmap.
- Participants will learn about change management and technology adoption models
- Understand why certain enterprise-level adoptions initiatives have failed.
- Learn about the different mindsets involved in project-level adoption and enterprise adoption.
- Become familiar with the SAMI – a value-based roadmap that guides organizations towards enterprise agility.
- Understand how to cross the chasm between project level agile adoption and enterprise agile adoption.
- Learn how to design a value-based roadmap for enterprise adoption